Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Indo-European Poet

Webhmi kleutrom mos pateros, mos pateros.
I weave the story of my father, my father.


Swom derus aiwos atqe aiwoternos klewos bhagsti.
His strength forever and eternal glory gives him.


Opnis bherghō, kerst.
To protect all, he ran.


Kerst domos apo agros atqe pekus pēwṛwerkḷdis.
He ran from his home of fields and cattle to the firespeaker road.


Qos gṇnō wiros bhéreti onkos?
What man can bear this burden?


Júwnkos kreugénti.
The children cry.


Matér ad anəmos superā atqe ṇdherā kreug ōti.
My mother to spirits above and below cries.


Gnoti ōinosqisqe nosóm twəwos eikōté, skrībhthé.
She knows each of us have health, separated from the firespeaker.


Mos pateros nē dhewə endo kanmṇ
My father cannot die in this song.


Dhewə pēwṛwerk esti atqe júwnkos cejwōnt.
The dragon is dead and the children live.




English Translation
I weave the story of my father, my father.
His strength helps him attain everlasting glory.
To protect all, he left from his home to the path to the dragon.
Who can bear this burden?
The children cry.
My mother cries to all Spirits and knows that we are safe from the dragon.
My father cannot die because of this poem.
The dragon is dead and the children live.

No comments:

Post a Comment