Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Father's Song - OE


Fæder mîn mann streng to Middlesex fægere

Father mine man strong from Middlesex fair

Hê luflica liflica mann wiþ lange beorhte hær

He lovely lively man with long bright hair

In were haefoc huntiana his unfreondas hatianaþ mann

In war hawk hunting his enemies fear that man

Wiþ his cilde cynde dofen cepan hîe wel

With his child kind dove keeping her well

Nama riht his Ræfenwolf Ræfenwolf cyning

Name right his Ravenwolf Ravenwolf king

Fæder prud freonda mîn to fæder singane sang

Father proud friend mine to father I sing the song


My father was a man of strength from Middlesex the fair.

He was a lovely, lively man with long and burning hair.

In war he was a hunting hawk and feared by those who fell,

But to his child a dove he was who loved and kept her well.

My father’s name was Raefenwolf – Raefenwolf the king.

Father proud and friend to me, to thee my song I sing.


* The font I used did not have a symbol for a thorn so I stole one from another font. That’s why all the thorns look different than the other letters.

1 comment:

  1. This is a fine tribute to your "father." Is it about your present day father or a male ancestor. Perhaps you father would like to read it?

    ReplyDelete