Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sonnet 73 Korean Translatio

Below is the Korean translation (and back translation) of Shakespeare's Sonnet 73. The back translation was taken extremely literally, and while the exact word order of the Korea was not followed (as this would have made it even more incomprehensible) I was very loyal to the content of each individual line, many of which had to be altered slightly in order to make sense in Korean sentence structure. Also, no guarantee as to perfection of Korean grammar.

That time of year thou mayst in me behold

이런 계절에 당신는 나로

In this season, you in me

When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang

가지에 걸고 많이 없거나 전혀 없는

in those few (or no) branches-hung

Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,

추위로 흔들리는 노랑나뭇잎

leaves yellow that the cold shakes

Bare ruin'd choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.

지금까지 새의 듣기 좋은 노래 볼수 있네.

that till now you saw as fine bird song.

In me thou seest the twilight of such day

나로 서방에서 사라지는 해넘이의

In me in the west-fading sunset

As after sunset fadeth in the west,

황혼을 볼바 아니하였을까

you can see the twilight

Which by and by black night doth take away,

결국 검은 밤까지도 가져가고

which in the end takes even the black night

Death's second self, that seals up all in rest.

사망의 대신으로 모두가 면으로 보인한다.

and as death’s surrogate seals all in rest.

In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire

나로불이 얼만나 빛나서

In me the fire so glows

That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,

젊음의 재를 감수하더니

the ashes of youth submit

As the death-bed whereon it must expire

힘을주는 것으로 소모하고

and that which gives strength, consumes

Consumed with that which it was nourish'd by.

죽음의침대에 끝난다.

and ends at the death bed.

This thou perceivest, which makes thy love more strong,

이무두가 보면서 당신의 사랑를 강화시키는데

All this seen, your love is strengthened

To love that well which thou must leave ere long.

바리 가러서도 그만큼 사랑하더니.

even though we part quickly, this much you love.

4 comments:

  1. I really like all the poetic phrases you used to translate the original into Korean. Especially "west-fading sunset" for "twilight."

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool, I wish I could understand Korean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to find some Chinese characters in your Korean translation,but I can't find anything that I can recognize. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is rich with rhetorical details that I wish I could see in the Korean version. But alack and alas, I must me suffice with the Present Day English paraphrase. I like the way you used used the bold for the third lines, to set out the interlinear format. That made it readable.

    ReplyDelete