Monday, November 9, 2009

Early Modern English Hymn

I wrote this hymn in an attempt to capture my testimony and feelings of my relationship with the Savior Jesus Christ. I started with some scripture quotes that I feel embody Christ. I had originally written the poem on Alma 38:9 but feel that the scripture that truly embodies the central message is John 14:6 because Christ is everything as the title of the hymn suggests. It was interesting how the stylistic features of Early Modern English worked themselves into the hymn and work with it the best. I wrote using Plain Style which is employing humble, pure and simple words and phrases to evoke love and life (as can be read from the assignment worksheet). The hymn is written in Long Verse which is 8888 format.

The Way, The Truth, The Life

Sing to the tune of Each Life That Touches Ours for Good, #293

Written by: Melissa Norris De Leon 2009


The Lord of Lords, the King of Kings,

To Him the angel chorus sings.

He is the source of truth and light.

Let Him our earthbound battles fight.


He who speaks, “Thy ways are not mine.”

And “Father, all the glory Thine.”

We know His death prepared the way

For our return to Him one day.


Giver of peace, most Holy fire,

We pray to thee: change our desire.

We need Thy love and mercy bright.

Thou rend’rest strength and gentle might.


With faith we follow Thy sweet call.

Yet on the earth we falter, fall.

With healing heart, hear Thou our plea,

“O Please dear Lord make us as Thee.”


John 14:6 “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” Other paraphrased scriptures: Isaiah 55:8-9, Moses 4:2

I few language features within this hymn are oxymoron in the phrases “gentle might” and “peace and Holy fire.” I also employed Antithesis in the final verse with the opposing images of following Christ’s call yet faltering and falling in the next line. There is repetition of structure in the title and in initial sounds in the phrase, “healing heart, hear” and repetition of feelings of warmth and compassion Christ has for us.

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful and I especially like the language features you used-it's so poetic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 很好! The language is wonderful!Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly felt the Spirit when we sang this new hymn together in my office. Thank you for providing explanatory details for readers. This is well done.

    ReplyDelete