Monday, November 9, 2009

Early Modern English Hymn - Oh Lord, how I Lovest Thou

by Camille Lee


This hymn is based on Nephi's Psalm in 2 Nephi 4:16-30. In this passage of scripture, Nephi finds himself very saddened and depressed because of his own wickedness. He feels like he cannot go on because of the temptations that surround him. However, after he realizes that the Lord has redeemed his soul and has never forsaken him, he pulls himself out of this misery and rejoices in the goodness of God.


This hymn is written in the Sevens & Sixes meter (7-6-7-6).


Oh Lord, how I lovest thou.

Thy works mine eyen have seen,

Thy words my heart ponderyth.

But I, a wretched man,

Do sorrow in my heavy heart.

My soul grievyth and groanyth

For sin doth plague me always.

Joyful I cannot be

For despite the love of God,

My sins do weigh me down.



Oh Lord, how I lovest thou.

For thou hast led me through

When the wilderness kept me.

Whilst in valleys of death,

Whilst my flesh wasted away,

My cries, thou hast heard them,

And answered in the night-time.

I prayith unto thee

My heartsick soul thou healyth,

I noot if I can go on.



Oh, awake, my wretched soul!

Allow not anger here.

Let there be no place for sin.

Oh, rejoice in the Lord

And in his most kindest love.

He is thy redeemer.

Oh Lord, how I lovest thou.

In thee my soul delights

For thy love hath filled me up.

Hath filled me up with peace.



Notes:

  • 'eyen' is the plural of 'eye'
  • 'heartsick' means to be heartbroken or full of sorrow.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful scripture, and it really would make a lovely song. I wish we could put it to music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Camille. Nephi would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put a great deal of thought and effort into these 3 verses. I like the way you captured the King James Bible style and Early Modern English features in this Book of Mormon hymn. With a few adjustments, we can sing it to some hymn tunes that we know.

    ReplyDelete